Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
1 cup zucchini, grated
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup agave nectar, divided
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose, unbleached flour
¼ cup flaxseed, ground
½ teaspoon baking powder, low sodium
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
½ teaspoon ginger, ground
¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
½ cup cocoa, unsweetened
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Put grated zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, add applesauce, vanilla extract, ¼ cup agave and mix thoroughly.
4. Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseeds, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and other spices, and mix well. Add cocoa and mix thoroughly.
5. Add zucchini mixture and stir thoroughly.
6. Fill paper liners with chocolate zucchini batter to ¾ full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of cupcake.
7. Mix ¼ cup agave with ½ teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Before serving, drizzle agave mixture over cupcakes as icing and enjoy!
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation with credit to: Stacey Antine, MS, RD, and HealthBarn USA
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, May 2014