Mixed Vegetable Salad with Pasta and Chicken
Chicken Breast, Raw 6 oz.
Chicken Stock 8 oz.
Carrots, Washed and Cut 3 oz.
Cherry Tomatoes 4 ea.
Rotini Pasta, Raw 3 oz.
Broccoli, Washed and Cut 3 oz.
Green Beans, Washed and Cut 3 oz.
Black Olives 1 oz.
Italian Dressing, Bottled 3-4 oz.
1. Put chicken stock into a sauce pan. Bring stock to a boil on one eye, add chicken breast. When stock begins to boil, move the pot to a cooler electric eye and/or a different stovetop. Cook until done. Place on your tray to cool. Cut into thin slices. (Electric range tops hold a set temperature evenly.)
2. Cut carrots into even slices and cook in a steamer until al dente, about 5 min. or until done. Shock in cold water then place in a pile on your group’s tray. (Steamer cooks quickly and retains nutrients very well.)
3. Prep and blanch tomatoes in boiling water to remove skins; shock in cold water. slice in half. (Induction cooktop heats liquid and other items quickly in special pans.)
4. Cook rotini pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Shock in cold water until cool and place on your tray. toss with a little olive or vegetable oil. (Have additional water heating on electric stove.)
5. Cook broccoli until tender crisp. Turn off trunnion kettle and skim out broccoli; shock in cold water, drain, and place on your tray. (Trunnion kettle heats liquid very quickly.)
6. Bring water to a boil in aluminum pans; simmer green beans until tender rips. Shock in cold water, drain, and place on tray. (Gas range allows for infinite heat settings.)
7. Mix all salad ingredients together. Add dressing and toss. Marinate for 30 min. if possible.
4 portions at 5 oz. each
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation and Submitted by Kriss D. Scott