Things to know about Ray
1. Ray was drafted by the Ravens in 1996, and has played with them ever since.
2. He has been selected to 13 Pro Bowls.
3. Ray was a star wrestler in high school.
4. He was MVP in Super Bowl xxxv
5. Ray’s Family Foundation helps provide personal and economic assistance to disadvantaged youth and families in distress.
6. He has 6 children.
7. In 1999, Ray led the NFL in tackles with 168.
8. In 2003, he received 49 of 50 votes for the AP All Pro Team, and won the annual NFL Defensive Player of the Year with 43 of 50 votes.
9. At the end of the 2011 season, Ray had career totals of 2,004 tackles (1,523 solo), 18 forced fumbles, 31 interceptions for 503 yards, one safety, and three touchdowns in 222 games played.
Ray Anthony Lewis (born May 15, 1975) is a linebacker for the National Football League (NFL) Baltimore Ravens. Having played college ball at the University of Miami, he is considered to be one of the best linebackers of all time.
In 2006, Lewis was drafted by the Ravens and has played his entire career for the team, remaining the last player from the Ravens’ inaugural season on the current active roster. Lewis has been named to thirteen Pro Bowls and an Associated Press All-Pro ten times. In 2000 and 2003, he won the NFL Defensive Player of the Year; and was the sixth player to ever win the award multiple times. He was also the second linebacker to win the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award and the first linebacker to win the award on the winning Super Bowl team.
In 2010, Lewis was named 2nd team All-Pro by the Associated Press for the third time and named to his twelfth Pro Bowl. He totaled 139 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 4 pass deflections, and 1 touchdown. He later added 13 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble in 2 playoff games. On November 21, 2010, Lewis became only the second player in NFL history to record at least 30 interceptions and 30 sacks in his career. In 2011, Lewis was named to his thirteenth Pro Bowl and led the Ravens with 95 tackles even though he missed four games with an injury.
At the end of the 2011 season, Lewis had a career total of 2,004 total tackles (1,523 solo), 18 forced fumbles, 116 passes defended, 101.5 tackles for loss, 40.5 sacks, 19 fumble recoveries, 31 interceptions for 503 yards, one safety and three touchdowns in 222 games. In sixteen seasons, he led the NFL in tackles five times (1997, 1999, 2001, 2003 and 2004). In 2003, Lewis led all linebackers with six interceptions. Lewis has been selected to thirteen NFL Pro Bowl games, a record for an inside/middle linebacker. His ten total All Pro selections is a record for an Inside/Middle Linebacker.
Taken in part from: Wikipedia
Photos by: Emily Bires