Sesame-Ginger Marinated Lentils & Green Bean Salad
- ½ cup (125 mL) green, French green, or black (Beluga) lentils
- 1 lb (500 grams) fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 3 cups (750 mL) spring greens or arugula
- 1 Tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger
1. Bring 2½ cups (625 mL) of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the lentils and cook for 35-40 minutes, until almost tender. Cut the beans into 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths; add them to the lentils. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the green beans are tender-crisp.
2. Drain well in a colander and transfer to a shallow serving bowl. Add the onion. In a small bowl or jar, whisk or shake together the canola oil, orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, garlic, and ginger; drizzle over the lentils and beans and toss to combine.
3. Serve over greens or arugula, and sprinkle with sesame seeds just before serving.
Provided with permission from the ACF, recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils