It’s a bit long, but oh so worth it! Remember to practice moderation, and cheat healthy.
- 450 grams all-purpose flour
- 190 grams butter, well softened
- 180 grams confectioners’ sugar
- 150 grams egg yolks
- 1 T. vanilla paste
- 100 grams unsalted butter, soft
- 100 grams natural almond flour
- 760 grams granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 5 Honeycrisp apples, diced
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 200 grams apple cider vinegar
- 500 grams water
- 90 grams glucose syrup
- 70 grams lemon juice, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 175 grams yogurt
- 200 grams creme fraiche
- 310 grams cream, heated
- 5 grams salt
- 2 Honeycrisp or other firm-fleshed, sweet/tart apple
1) For sweet dough: Put flour, well-softened butter and confectioners’ sugar in bowl of electric mixer; mix with paddle until blended. Add egg yolks and vanilla paste; mix just to combine. Chill until firm.
2) For almond cream: Combine soft unsalted butter, almond flour and 100 grams granulated sugar in mixer or food processor; process to a smooth paste. Add eggs in thin stream; mix again to combine. Refrigerate.
3) For apple compote: Cook diced apples with 150 grams granulated sugar, vanilla beans and vinegar over medium to low heat for approximately 30 minutes, stirring frequently until tender. Cool. Blend in food processor or use immersion blender. Refrigerate.
4) For creme fraiche sorbet: Warm water; add glucose syrup, 270 grams granulated sugar, 50 grams lemon juice and lemon zest. Boil for 3 minutes. Cool. Blend yogurt and creme fraiche. Add cooked syrup to yogurt mixture, blending to combine. Chill until cold. Process in ice cream machine.
5) For caramel sauce: Warm heavy saucepan. Put remaining 240 grams granulated sugar in pan; melt without stirring until golden-brown. Add small amount hot cream; mix and bring to a boil, adding remaining cream. Add salt; stir to dissolve. Strain mixture through fine sieve or chinois. Refrigerate.
6) For apple pearl garnish: With small melon baller, scoop apples, including skin. Place pearls in bowl of water mixed with remaining 20 grams lemon juice. Chill.
7) To assemble: Divide dough into 2 oz. portions; roll into 3-inch tart shells. Chill for 20 minutes. Spread almond cream evenly in bottom of each unbaked shell. Bake in 320°F convection oven for approximately 8 minutes. Cool. With mandoline, slice apples; roll into rose-like shapes. Pour 1 scoop apple compote into each tart shell; place “rose” on top. Bake in 360°F convection oven for approximately 14 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over tarts. Return to oven; bake for 6 minutes.
8) To plate: Warm caramel sauce. Brush circle on each plate; place warmed tart on top of caramel. Garnish with apple pearls; add scoop of sorbet.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation and Credit: Mollie Katzan, Cookbook Author/Artist
The National Culinary Review, February 2010