Avocado Lentil Salad with Strawberry Chipotle Vinaigrette
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked or canned green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby arugula
- 1½ cups (375 mL) cleaned and quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and medium dice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro (reserve some for garnish)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted slivered almonds (reserve some for garnish
- ½ cup (125 mL) cleaned and halved fresh strawberries
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oilsalt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. For the vinaigrette: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine strawberries, cider vinegar, honey, chipotle pepper, lemon juice, mustard, and olive oil. Puree until velvety and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
2. For the salad: In a small bowl mix half of the prepared dressing with the cooked lentils.
3. Toss the dressed lentils with arugula, strawberries, avocado, cilantro, and
4. Drizzle with a little more vinaigrette and top with toasted almonds and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Posted with permission from the American Culinary Federation, courtesy of Canadian Lentils