Beef Top Loin Steaks with Balsamic Red Onion Relish
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 t. garlic-pepper seasoning, divided
- 4 (8 oz.) boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 4 (10-inch) bamboo skewers
- 2 medium red onions, each cut in 12 wedges
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. chopped fresh oregano or thyme
- Salt, to taste
1. In small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 6-8 minutes or until reduced by half. Reserve.
2. Press 2 t. garlic-pepper seasoning evenly onto steaks.
3. Soak bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes; drain. Thread onion wedges onto skewers. Brush onion wedges and cut sides of squash with oil; sprinkle with remaining 2 t. garlic-pepper seasoning. Grill steaks, uncovered, 15-18 minutes for medium-rare to medium, turning occasionally. Grill squash 8-12 minutes, onions 12-15 minutes, or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove onions from skewers; toss with reduced vinegar, oregano and salt.
4. Serve steaks with onions and squash. Recipe is courtesy of the National Onion Association.
Reprinted with permission from American Culinary Federation with Credit to the National Onion Association
The National Culinary Review, January 2014