Bibb Lettuce with Gorgonzola and Fresh Pear Dressing
- 3 large ripe pears, divided
- ¹/³ cup granulated sugar
- ½ t. fresh tarragon or scant ¼ t. dried
- 1-2 T. cider vinegar
- 1½ T. lemon juice
- 2-3 heads butter lettuce, rinsed, dried
- 4 oz. (1 cup) crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
1. Peel, core and chop 1 pear. Place pear, ¹/³ cup water, sugar and tarragon in small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until pear pieces are soft, about 5 minutes (do not let all water evaporate). Cool.
2. Pour pear and liquid into blender; blend until smooth. Add vinegar and lemon juice. Taste; adjust sugar and
acid to make a sweet/tart dressing, adding a little water if needed to thin. Refrigerate until cold.
3. Core and thinly slice remaining 2 pears. For each serving arrange 3-4 lettuce leaves on salad plate. Top
with ¹/6 of the pear slices and 2-3 T. Gorgonzola. Drizzle with 2 T. dressing.
Reprinted with permission from American Culinary Federation, with Credit: Charles Cline, Owner/Executive Chef, The Heartline Cafe, Sedona, Arizona. The National Culinary Review, July/August 2017