Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms
• 3 boneless chicken breasts, with or without skin
• 1 1/2 tbsps olive oil (or canola oil) – more as needed
• 3 1/2 tbsps unsalted butter
• 1 lb mushrooms – your choice, thin sliced
• 1/2 cup marsala wine
• 2 tbsps flour
• 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
• 2 tbsps fresh minced parsely
• 1 package frozen chopped spinach
• 1 package low fat mozzarella cheese
1 package pasta, your choice
1. In a large pot salt the water and bring to a boil.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot pan.
3. Add pasta to boiling water. Cook until tender. 4-5 mins then rinse in cold water and drain.
4. Wash and pat dry chicken breasts.
5. Cut breasts lengthwise – making a small pocket in the meat/skin.
4. Mix defrosted spinach and minced mushrooms in a bowl then add to skillet and saute. Remove from fire and place in a bowl, add the cheese and stir. Spoon mixure into the chicken breast pockets and secure with toothpicks.
5. Add oil, marsala wine and broth to skillet, heat over medium fire and add chicken breast. Turn after 5 mins, cook a total of 15 mins until chicken is fully cooked, and temperature is 165. Remove chicken carefully and place on bowl. Add remaining butter and flour to skillet and simmer the sauce til thick, Serve sauce over the chicken. Be sure to remove toothpicks before serving!
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation and Credit: Mollie Katzan, Cookbook Author/Artist
The National Culinary Review, February 2010