Fall Turkey Chili
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow or purple onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color is fine), seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1¼ pound ground turkey or ground chicken
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, if you like spicy
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (if you like spicy)
- 2 16-ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well with cold water
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well with cold water
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including the juice
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree
1. Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. Let the pot heat for a minute and when it is hot, add the oil.
2. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook on low heat until the onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir from time to time.
3. Add the turkey (or chicken), a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition until it just starts to turn white.
4. Add the spices and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, and tomato puree and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
5. Take the lid off and cook uncovered for 30 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation – credit to: Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, September 2014