Grilled Salmon and Citrus Pistachio Couscous Salad
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 2 oranges
- ½ t. sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced small
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1 T. white vinegar
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 T. chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 (8 oz.) salmon fillets
1. Cook couscous according to package directions, using chicken broth in place of water. Once cooked, add orange juice and ½ t. salt; mix well. Fold in cucumber, red bell pepper and pistachios.
2. In bowl, whisk vinegar, 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, scallions, mint, pepper and lemon juice.
3. Preheat grill or broiler. Brush salmon with remaining 1 T. extra virgin olive oil. Place on hot grates or in grill pan; grill 5-8 minutes per side until opaque and with slightly rosy center when pierced with knife tip.
4. Serve fillets with couscous salad, with extra mint and lemon, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federations, with credit to Art Smith, Executive Chef/Co-owner, Table fiftytwo, Art and Soul, Southern Art and Bourbon Bar, LYFE Kitchen restaurants
The National Culinary Review, March 2015