Plum Hazelnut Tart with Champagne Sabayon Sauce
- 13 oz. granulated sugar
- 3 oz. butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs
- Linzertorte dough (recipe follows)
- 4 T. apricot or red current/ raspberry jam
- 6-10 plums, seeded, cut in wedges or thick slices
- Cinnamon, as needed
- Champagne/Lemon Sabayon Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Mix sugar and butter in bowl. Gradually add eggs; mix to a custard.
2. Roll out linzertorte dough. Line tart pans. Par-bake blind.
3. Spread jam on linzertorte bases; arrange plums in pattern. Pour custard over plums; sprinkle with 4. cinnamon. Bake at 350ºF until golden-brown. Reduce heat to 300ºF; bake until custard sets, approximately 15 minutes. Cool.
4. Slice. Serve with champagne/lemon sabayon sauce.
12 oz. butter
18 oz. granulated sugar
18 oz. hazelnut flour
20 oz. all-purpose flour or 50/50 bread/ cake flour
½ oz. cinnamon
1½ t. lemon zest
1 T. vanilla extract
1½ t. salt
Cream butter and sugar together just until smooth. Add hazelnut flour, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, lemon zest, vanilla extract, salt and eggs; mix until smooth. Chill until firm.
Champagne/Lemon Sabayon Sauce
½ cup champagne
2 T. lemon juice
½ t. lemon zest
½ cup granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
½ cup whipped cream (soft peaks), optional
Method: Over bain marie in stainless steel bowl, whisk champagne, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and egg yolks until cooked to 160ºF. Serve warm, or chill over ice until room temperature. Fold in whipped cream, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation, with Credit to: Daniel Pliska, CEC, AAC