Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation and Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, December 2013
- ¾ cups plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons raw almonds (if you’re allergic to nuts, skip the almonds and substitute 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats)
- ½ tablespoon apple, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon overripe banana, sliced (frozen if possible)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ice cubes
1. Put all ingredients in blender in order listed.
2. Put top on tightly. Blend on a medium setting until ice is chopped and mixture is smooth, about 1 minute.
3. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator, up to 4 hours
*From the Chef:
“To make smoothie colder and thicker, add slices of frozen banana.