Thai Salad Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 T. lime juice
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. garlic chili sauce, such as Sriracha or sambal oelek
- 2 t. fish sauce
- 2 t. honey
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. rice vermicelli noodles
- 12 rice paper wraps
- 12 large fresh mint leaves
- 2 cups shredded leafy green lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ English cucumber, cut in matchsticks
- 1 mango, peeled, cut in matchsticks
1. Whisk peanut butter with coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, chili sauce, sugar and fish sauce until well-combined. Set aside.
2. Place onion slices in bowl; top with ice-cold water. Let stand at least 30 minutes; drain well. Place noodles in bowl; top with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until softened; drain well. Soak 1 rice paper wrap in hot tap water 10 seconds, or until pliable; carefully transfer to slightly damp kitchen towel.
3. Arrange 1 mint leaf just below center of each wrap, leaving space on sides. Top with lettuce, noodles, carrot, red onion, cucumber and mango. Firmly fold bottom half of wrap over filling; fold in sides, roll up to completely enclose filling. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Store, tightly covered with plastic wrap, up to 2 hours, until ready to serve.
4. To serve: Cut each roll in half on angle; serve with peanut dipping sauce.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation. Credit: Recipe courtesy of the National Onion Association
The National Culinary Review, May 2016