Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Ice Cream
- 2 T. arrowroot
- 3½ cups coconut milk, divided
- 3 lemons, zest, and juice only
- ¾ cup vegan sugar
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- ¼ t. citric acid
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
1. In small bowl, whisk together arrowroot and ¼ cup coconut milk to make slurry.
2. With fine microplane, zest lemons. Add zest to sugar. Mix with fingertips to release oils into sugar. Strain through fine sieve; pour into medium saucepan. Add remaining coconut milk and lemony sugar. Bring to slow boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; whisk in arrowroot slurry. Stir in vanilla and citric acid. Pour into bain-marie. Cool completely over ice bath.
3. Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions. When ice cream reaches softserve consistency, extract into half hotel pan. Stir in poppyseeds. Scoop mixture into freezer containers. Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
Reprinted with permission from The American Culinary Federation, with credit: Sally Bowers, Executive Pastry Chef, The Original Dinerant, Portland, Ore.
Sizzle, Summer 2013