Very Vegetable Soup with Walnut/Parmesan Crisps
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 1 medium-sized celery stalk, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 t. salt, divided (or to taste)
- About 10 large mushrooms (white or cremini), minced or sliced
- 1-2 handfuls fresh green beans, trimmed, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. dried or 1 T. fresh oregano or marjoram
- 2-3 stalks ruby chard, chopped (include stems, keep separate)
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 small (6-inch) zucchini, diced or sliced
- ½ cup (packed) minced fresh basil leaves
- 1 (15-oz.) can navy or pea beans, thoroughly rinsed, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges
- Walnut/Parmesan Crisps (recipe follows)
- Walnut/Parmesan Crisps
- ¹/3 cup grated Parmesan
- ¹/3 cup coarsely ground walnuts
- Nonstick spray (canola- or olive-oil based)
1. Heat olive oil in soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, carrot and ½ t. salt; sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, green beans, garlic, oregano or marjoram and remaining salt. Sauté for a few minutes more. Cover; cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
2. Add chard stems; sauté for a minute or two. Add broth. Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer. Cover; cook for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in chard leaves, zucchini, basil and navy beans; add black pepper, to taste. Cover pot, remove from heat; let soup sit for about 10 minutes.
4. Serve hot, accompanied by lemon wedges and Walnut/Parmesan Crisps.
Method: Put a skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute. Combine cheese and walnuts in small bowl. Lightly spray pan with nonstick spray. Spoon in small mounds (about 1 t.) cheese/nut mixture; spread into thin circles with back of spoon. Cook over medium heat until cheese has melted and crisps solidified, about 2 minutes. With metal spatula, flip over to cook other side. Cook until golden and crisp.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation and Credit: Mollie Katzan, Cookbook Author/Artist
The National Culinary Review, February 2010