Whole Grain Spaghetti with Almond/Pistachio/Arugula Pesto and Heirloom Tomatoes
- 3 lbs. Barilla® whole-grain spaghetti
- 12 oz. arugula
- ¾ cup almonds
- ¾ cup pistachios
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cups + 2 T. olive oil
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 1½ cups diced heirloom tomatoes
- 15 fresh basil leaves, julienned
1. Cook pasta for half time indicated on package. Drain; drizzle with olive oil. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans; cool in blast chiller or walk-in cooler. Store in zip-close bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate (use within several hours).
2. In blender in batches, combine arugula, almonds, pistachios and garlic. With blender on, slowly drizzle in 1½ cups olive oil; add Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
3. In bowl, season tomatoes with basil, 2 T. olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Per serving: Reheat ¼ cup pesto and 1 cup spaghetti with a little pasta water, if needed. Toss with 1 T. tomatoes. Garnish with additional Parmesan and basil, if desired.
Recipe posted with permission from American Culinary Federation with Credit: Lorenzo Boni, Executive Chef, Barilla America
The National Culinary Review, March 2015