Wilted Spinach Salad with Grilled Onions, Walnuts, Apples and Avocado
- 1 medium-sized fresh tart apple
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 small ripe avocado
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced red onion (¼-inch slices)
- ½ t. whole cumin seeds (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup lightly toasted California walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves, dried
- ¼ t. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Cut apple in thin slices onto plate; drizzle with 2 t. lemon juice. Cover plate tightly; refrigerate.
2. Pour remaining lemon juice onto second plate. Peel and slice avocado. Place slices in lemon juice; turn over until well-coated. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in medium-sized skillet or ridged grill pan. Add onion; cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in cumin seeds and walnuts. Turn heat down to medium; cook with minimal stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until seeds and nuts give off toasty aroma.
4. Add onion mixture to spinach; sprinkle in salt as toss to thoroughly mix. (Spinach will wilt on contact with hot oil and onion.)
5. Gently mix in avocado, including all lemon juice, and apple. Grind in generous amount of black pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges to squeeze on top, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from the American Culinary Federation and Credit: Mollie Katzan, Cookbook Author/Artist
The National Culinary Review, February 2010